Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Whew" Church Marathon Complete

We wrapped another beautiful Easter Season.  John likes to call Easter his Super Bowl, or rather I should say he used to. Him calling it his SuperBowl meant it was the thing he looked forward to most during the year. When given the opportunity John likes to go to church as much as possible during Holy Week. 

Last year we attended Maunday Thursday service at one church. Friday we attended Stations of the Cross in the afternoon and a Good Friday service in the evening. Saturday I think was spent pondering church (he wanted to go to a Catholic Easter Vigil, but I was rather tired). We wrapped up on Sunday with a Sunrise Easter service. I recognize what I am about to say is probably not something I should say, especially as a pastor's wife, but here it goes..... I do not like sunrise services. It is very difficult for me to worship at 7:00 am or earlier. Had I of been around when Jesus rose from the dead on the 3rd day, I would not have been one of the first to the tomb. It is likely I would have awoken at a later hour and then celebrated his resurrection. I identify very well with some of the other disciples who were "late" to the party that day. While I can and do wake up early I really dislike it. 

This year, I am not sure John would call Easter his Super Bowl. It was his first year as pastor, which meant much of the beautiful celebrating plans had to be attended to by him. I think he may see things slightly different being on the other side. He was looking rather tired come Thursday but was still in good spirits overall. We had Maunday Thursday, Good Friday, and 4 services on Sunday.  

Now to make things more fun......I am not sure if our senior pastor knew my feelings on sunrise services or if it was just a happy coincidence, but John was asked to give the sermon at the 7:00 am service this year. Of course he was only giving the sermon at the 7:00 am service, so it meant I had to be at that service as opposed to what I normally do when John preaches. Just go to one service at 9:45 and hope I do not miss anything exciting in the other services. One time I thought, well if my husband preaches I should go to all three to be supportive which didn't last long. God makes a better cheerleader anyway.  This 7:00 am John preaching sunrise service meant I had to look presentable and be at the church by 6:55 am. Again, not my cup of tea. I am of the firm belief the Lord can be worshiped at 8:30 am on a Sunday. I went to the 7:00 am, prayed, enjoyed the sunrise even though I was super cold and sleepy,  came home, and worked on brunch while John attended/worked the next 3 services. 

There is a lot of church to be had during Easter. I am learning to embrace our annual church marathon. Knowing my amazing exuberant husband I am sure there will be additional services/celebrations he will attempt to add into the Easter festivities someday [Husband edit: True facts] .  I look forward to dressing future children in adorable Easter clothes at unholy hours in the morning, and then taking oodles of pictures. I can't wait for the Easter Egg hunts. I also look forward to the day our children look at me and say, "Mom, church again?" and saying, "You know how your dad feels about church." 

At this point we are hunkered down for the end of our respective school years and waiting for the extremely busy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment